What Is Black Mold?
What is black mold?
Black mold (stachybotrys chartarum) is a mold that grows where there is moisture, particularly from water damage and leaks. Although mold can come in many colors as well as textures, the most commonly encountered in the aftermath of water damage is black mold. Black mold typically first makes itself aware to you through either sight or smell.
When you are aware of what to look for when you think you might have stumbled upon mold, your next step should be to call SERVPRO to confirm and handle the situation. When an establishment has gone through water damage a residual reaction can unfortunately be mold. There are three things that you can look for in the initial steps, although calling a professional is always the safest option upon discovering any type of mold in your home or business.
Learn more about mold and what to do until help arrives by visiting Mold Damage Tips.
How Do I Tell If It’s Black Mold?
Since many types of mold can cause reactions, you should contact us regardless of the color or type of mold. In many instances, multiple types of mold may exist in the same house or structure. If you suspect you have a mold problem, contact SERVPRO of Clear Lake immediately.
If You See Signs of Mold, Call Us Today – (281) 486-4716
When water intrudes into your property, mold growth can start in as little as 48 hours. Consider the following mold facts:
- Mold is present almost everywhere, indoors and outdoors.
- Mold spores are microscopic, float along in the air, and may enter your home through windows, doors, or AC/heating systems or even hitch a ride indoors on your clothing or a pet.
- Mold spores thrive on moisture. Mold spores can quickly grow into colonies when exposed to water. These colonies may produce allergens and irritants.
- Before mold remediation can begin, any sources of water or moisture must be addressed. Otherwise the mold may return.
- Mold often produces a strong, musty odor, and that odor can lead you to possible mold problem areas.
- Even higher-than-normal indoor humidity can support mold growth. Keep indoor humidity below 45 percent.
Locally Owned Company with National Resources
SERVPRO of Clear Lake is locally owned and operated—so we live and work here too and are proud to be part of this community. We are also part of a national network of over 1,600 Franchises with special Disaster Recovery Teams placed strategically throughout the country to respond to large scale disasters.
We are proud to serve our local communities:
- Clear Lake
- La Marque
- Nassau Bay